Thursday, July 12, 2012

Minneman Pukefest and Elysian FunFest Weekends!

Minneman triathlon was a couple weekends ago!  Tom and I had volunteered for this race last year, which meant that we had a free race…love it!  I will be honest that I was really nervous about how this race was gonna go.  I’ve been having so much fun on my fatty lately that I had only ridden my tri bike twice since St. George!   I suppose I could have guessed it…this race was pretty much a smack in the face …I felt terrible the entire time….and especially the last 100 meters of the run when I started dry heaving…at this point I knew I was in 3rd place and as usual was super stressed about getting caught by some more gals.  I continued running thinking that I could hold it off…at least until after the finish line, well I was wrong…and for the 2nd race in a row I threw a sexy spew all over myself party as I struggled over the last 20 yards of the race.  My favorite quote after the race from Matt Payne was “nice…way to throw it all over the place!”  I remember thinking “I can’t believe this is actually happening…yes I am puking all over myself Gatorade commercial style…and this is only a sprint tri!”  I did end up on the podium and was really happy to be there all things considered!  It was also a very well organized event which I would consider doing again! 
Thanks Yndecam for capturing the moment!

Tom had an incredible race finishing 4th overall and 1st in his age group!  He even WON A TREE!!! I am one Proud wifey!  Since we have an apartment I thought it would make a nice Christmas tree, but instead we dropped it off at Tom’s parents house to be planted…of course we named it “The Champions Tree.”

This past weekend we did the 29th Annual Elysian Rookies Triathlon. We have been doing this race the past 5 years and absolutely love it….it is always a highlight of our summer as we get to spend the weekend on the lake with Kari and Mark and Mark’s parent’s at the River’s lake home!   We arrived Friday night just in time for some pontoon action and of course a few lucky pre race Bud Light Limes!  It was still ridiculous hot outside, but forecast called for a storm to come through overnight and cool things off.  Race morning came quickly and temperatures had dropped thankfully!  We picked up our awesome fluorescent race T-shirts and set up both T1 and T2.  My favorite part about this race is how for most participants this is the one race they do each year or perhaps it is even their very first tri and they are able to do it on basically whatever bike they own without being judged…I absolutely love the innocence of this race, it’s $35 late registration fee, and it’s scattered transitions.  I would hate for things to get too professional at this race as I think it would lose its “rookie” appeal.  The race distances are .4 Mile swim, 8 mile bike and 4 mile run.  Run heavy...and surprisingly a fairly hilly 8 mile ride! 
As Tom and I were getting our bikes set up in T2 I was checking out the other racers to see who might be my competition and all the sudden noticed someone in a USA tri suit with the last name “Haskins” on it.  I knew of the Olympian, Sarah Haskins, but immediately dismissed it assuming it was probably some random age grouper that had a USA tri kit from Age Group Nationals or something (and coincidentally the same last name).  Turns out I was wrong!! Now way!  It was indeed Sarah Haskins and she had randomly showed up with her husband who apparently is from Mankato area.  She is set to race the Lifetime Tri next weekend and must have done this one for fun!  She was genuinely nice and even stuck around to hand out the race medals!   Both Tom and I had pretty good races!  He finished 3rd overall (1st place was Sarah Haskins husband who I think used to be a Pro).  I was 2nd…or 1st Amateur (no puking!).  Tom Rivers (Mark’s dad) also did the tri for the 3rd consecutive year and looked strong as ever!  Once we got our medals we peeled out and spent the entire afternoon on the pontoon and in the water with the Rivers and the Larson’s!  We downed way too many silver bullets and left with a fresh tan!!  What a way to spend a weekend!  We had a blast hanging out with the kiddos Allie, Kate and Drew!  Thank you Marie and Tom for the splendid hospitality…can’t wait till next year!
Drew and Allie  "Cheese"  - Photo Credit to Ericka Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment