Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Note to Self: From now on...spit to the right!

 Last night’s solo ride turned out to be a bit more exciting than anticipated.  My plan this week called for some climbing repeats that were supposed to be 6 minutes long.  Since we are city dwellers finding a hill that long can pose quite a challenge.  Lisa B reminded me a couple weeks back of High Bridge to Dodd repeats so I went and checked it out on Strava and estimated it would take me at least 5 minutes to complete the climb.  It turned out to be close enough and just meant I’d have to do one extra repeat.  So off to St. Paul it was!  The best part of my repeats was seeing this view 5 times in a row! 


This sweaty lens photo does not do justice. The top of High Bridge is easily one of the best views in all of Minnesota.

 After snapping the above photo I started heading home hoping to make it before sundown.  As I was heading down Marshall Ave towards the 612 I started to notice that my mouth was super frothy from the 2 bottles of Gatorade I had taken down.  So naturally to remedy the situation I cocked my head to the left, puckered my lips and just at the moment I was about to let ‘er rip I saw a dude out of the corner of my eye passing me on the left… oooohhhh shiiit!  Yep, It was too late…and in an instant the saliva was airborne and flying right towards the dude’s face…Splat!   

I couldn’t believe it.  I was in shock, mortified!!! Embarrassed!! All I could come up with was “oh my gosh I am so sorry!”  I think the dude was also in shock and to my surprise he just shrugged it off and said “It’s alright.” (Really?? what a trooper!) His buddy who happened to be sucking off his wheel was laughing his ass off.  I couldn’t blame him.  Inside I was dying too!!  I’m sure they will be talking about that for years.  To quote my friend Lisa… “Remember that girl that spit on you while riding?” Yep, I am that girl. 

So the moral of the story is…

1.      Maybe girls shouldn’t be spitting while riding their bike? (or anyone for that matter)
OR...
2.      Maybe dudes shouldn't be passing on the left without saying anything? (bad karma?)

Mom if you are reading this…sorry!  I know you are oh so proud!

2 comments:

  1. I've had at least three guys (two teammates giving me shit and my 9 yr old son) remark, "That's not very ladylike," when I spit either when biking or running with them lately. Not sure where anyone got the impression I'm particularly ladylike outside of my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I've been close to blowing snot rockets on people behind me, too :)

    Next time you're doing high bridge repeats, let me know… I'll join ya!

    ReplyDelete