Saturday, August 24, 2013

Climbing Mountains!!

Tom and I spent a week in Colorado with many of our favs.  Most of us spent so much time out training in the mountains that we now feel like we need a vacation from our vacation! Manitou Springs is the home of Pikes Peak and this active little city is one of my favorite pockets in the world! This was our 3rd trip back here and we decided to rent a house as a group and it totally rocked. VRBO is probably one of the best things to ever happen to me. We scored this large cabin way up above the city in what the locals refer to as the "shire."
 
 

The views were incredible and the family that owns this place also has adopted many stray/rescue animals including horses, a couple donkeys, and a bunch of dogs. It was like living in the midst of our very own zoo!



EEYORE!
Their dog Maggie was my favorite as each day she would come over to our cabin, let herself in and then hang out with us....she was the cutest and I wanted to take her home!

 

Some of our friends signed up for the Pikes Peak Ascent Half Marathon, which basically involves climbing from the bottom of Manitou Springs, CO all the way to the Summit of Pikes Peak. 13.2 crazy miles! Sue, Eman, Lisa and Katy all made it to the summit!


 
They were stoked and I loved hearing all about their races and struggles with the altitude, the 16 Golden Steps, etc. I will admit I started to wonder if I could just "hike" this 1/2 marathon next year! Jeff, Anne and Eman (again!) proved that was possible later on it the week. Hmm...now to convince my coach this is a good idea!

 Since Tom and I weren't racing the Ascent we spent most of the week training, chilling, and enjoying a break from the hot, humid place we call home.  Here are some of the highlights!


Palmer Park - this is a "I'm too scared to ride it" face
Woah!!! I  dusted off the kicks for the 38% grade hike Up the Incline
Taking the Barr Trail back down
Here we are at the start of the Pikes Peak Ascent. cheering our friends off!
Then we rode to to the top of Rampart Range Road! 9,300 feet!
What a view of Pikes Peak!!!
Andrea and I climbing to the top of Gold Camp Road
 
My Broadaxe was starting to get tired....
So it only seemed natural to ride it up Pikes Peak Highway


19.05 Miles, 162 turns, 6.5% average grade, 2:59, 165 bpm, 6,716 feet of climb

Finally I made it to the Summit!!!!  Brr.


Tom drove up to share Donuts and Cappucino!!!  What a week!
 

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome week! Stunning pics! And, that bike ride?! Ridiculous! Nick work, chica!

    Thinking Nick and I need to make a trip to CO for some serious climbing… and perhaps sign up for that 13.1 :)

    ReplyDelete