Sunday, January 5, 2014

Just Like Riding A Bike

I raced a 5k Saturday!  The Frosty Frolic 5K has become and annual tradition for us and I decided that this year I wasn't going to miss out on all the fun!  It was a bit of a risky choice as I haven't ran more than 4 times in the past year.  My coach's only instructions were "just don't hurt yourself." So when it snowed a 1/2 an inch the night before I'll admit I was pretty nervous.


9 am start?? I need more coffee!!
 
I decided that even though I had no business racing, I'd actually try to race. It's just like riding a bike right?  It was a bit crazy, but I actually felt like I had picked up just where I left off. I felt efficient and fast and even though my legs were majorly freaking out the last mile, I felt fit and was finally was able prove that fitness does carry over across sports. This was something I always pondered when I was training for Ironman competitions.  For the record...muscular fitness DOES NOT carry over!! Today I am a total wreck. I could barely get out of bed this morning and it feels as though I played in a football game last night, not that I had ran a 5k. Nearly every muscle in my body is sore...from my calves all the way up to my neck!  The ropy muscles in my back are killing me and every time I laugh, my abs scream in agony.

I managed to finish in 24:39. I was shocked to break the 8 min/mile mark and win a Pizza Luce wager with Lisa. I finished about 10 yards behind Jeff who is 62 years old for goodness sake. I tried with all my might to catch him on the final stretch but Jeff is a running beast. Afterwards we enjoyed breakfast and coffee with some of our very best friends at Jeff's house. 

Jeff, Tom, and Eric
 
Does life get much better than this? Thank God for recovery pants...you had me at hello.

1 comment:

  1. Just like riding a bike for sure! :) Awesome running, lady! I remember returning to running after months of only cycling… I ran four miles or something and couldn't walk for days. My bones even hurt! Ha! Love those compression tights! Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete