Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sometimes Less is More...

2013 was a year of feeling stuffed, never knowing when to step away from the table...I was always wanting more. More fun, more energy, more adrenaline, more sun, more dirt, more travel, more watts, more skills, more laughter, more passion, and definitely more tires.

Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing?


In 2013 I raced 41 times.  For the record...THAT'S WAY TOO MANY TIMES. I'm still not sure what the right # of times is, but it's definitely south of 41. Admittedly I figured this out about 3/4 of the way through the year,  but I was at that point where I had already shoved the last bite in my mouth and I was too embarrassed to spit it out.

Finally I conceded and my last 6 weeks resembled more of a weekend warrior's lifestyle than a serious cyclist's. I trained only when I wanted to. I still had a bit of structure but I allowed myself the freedom to "just be."  I ate a thousand cookies and I spent some amazing time with family and friends. I laughed, loved, cheered, and cried. Eventually I got on my fat bike and fell in love with winter all over again.


Photo Credit: David Gabrys 45NRTH
Tom and I raced the Solstice Chase 25K because we could and because riding your bike in snow is so much fun. We were both arguably out of race shape and the course was challenging to say the least.  It was our first snow bike race together and we both had our fair share of snow job yard sales.  It was a total blast!  Tom cut his face on a branch and I took home a pretty cool mug.  I freaking love when races give out pottery as awards - so cool!

Photo Credit: Heide Tupy
 
Afterwards, we celebrated Christmas 4 times and I loved watching the kiddos open up their gifts! 

Because every kid should have a cat piano!!!
 

Then we flew out to California to celebrate the life of Tom's Aunt Sally who passed away suddenly. She was an amazingly strong, loving and generous woman. As we connected with family we hadn't seen in 5-7 years I couldn't help but think this was part of God's plan.  Last weekend was one of the most authentic weekends that I can remember. Life is fragile and family matters.

We returned home in time to ring in the new year with really great friends. As  I write this post with a bit of a headache from wanting more champagne....I realize my resolution for next year is pretty obvious. 

2014 will be the year that "less is more."





4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your 2014 opener post :) I had a similar feeling from spending Christmas with our family in MI and all the kiddos + family, it did indeed feel like an authentic Christmas- I think I even teared up a few times? Simple smiles from our 1 and 4 year old nieces and nephews along with Alex's grandma meant so much to me- you might be on to something with the less is more approach to 2014, I like it. I have to admit though that all the races you & the boys do make me want to challenge myself in 2014. I hate swimming and biking isn't my thing, I feel tempted to try a marathon? Hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carla!! you should so do a marathon, why not? I agree swimming is definitely on my "not so fun" list too! Hope you 2 had a great new year, I loved the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family IS everything… I felt the same at Christmas this year and was so sad when it was over. Twenty-fourteen is gonna be a big year for you… can't wait to see you crush it!

    ReplyDelete