Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Life with a Compex

I've been using a Compex Sport Elite for the past couple of months now and I am beyond impressed...I'm downright obsessed with it!!  In fact Tom is also so in love with this device that we often times fight over who gets to use it first in the evenings!  Let's face it....we all know it's tough to win a battle against a bull in a china shop!!!


The truth is, the entire time I've been an endurance athlete (nearly 8 years!) I've struggled massively with recovery. My lack of recovery dates all the way back to my Ironman training days when I would notice my training partners having significantly  more "pep in their step" than I did the week after a race. Not cool.  Even last year my coach and I had numerous frustrating conversations about recovery (or my lack thereof).  My slow recovery was obviously negating my ability to effectively complete training sessions and thus improve my lactate threshold. At times I was wondering if it was all in my head! We all want to be faster right?

Well I'm happy to report that THINGS HAVE CHANGED!!!  My recovery has significantly improved to the point that it's not only allowing me to meet the goals of my workouts on back to back days, but it's taken away the constant fear that I had about the effort I was putting in and how I was going to feel the following day(s).  So what's different? 

 
Sure, I've done a lot of work in this department such as making sure I'm consuming the right nutrition after a workout, spending more time on the foam roller, and wearing compression tights after races. But the truth is that I did much of this last year without noticing a big impact. Therefore...I'm 100% sure that the Compex is the final piece of the puzzle. It's the icing on the cake, it's the cat's meow, it's amazing.... Compex, you complete me (sorry Tom)!

I'd say on average I'm using this device 3-4 times per week.  I always make sure to use it after a long or intense ride and find it's most effective when used within a few hours of my workout.  I'm mostly obsessed with the Recovery Plus mode (only found on Sport Elite). However, I often double up with Massage mode and at times enjoy the Active Recovery mode (available on all models).  Since I'm a cyclist the majority of the times I'm throwing the electrode pads right on my quads. Although I've also used the device on my calves, low back, and hamstrings. The Recovery Plus program takes only 25 minutes, it feels fantastic, and I usually get this done while I'm uploading data from my ride, blogging, or watching TV.  

 
The biggest impact I've noticed thus far is using the Compex on weekends when I have back to back long rides planned.  I can actually tell the impact that it has had before my feet even hit the floor on Sunday morning. I wake up feeling significantly more fresh.  What I also love is that this device is tiny...smaller than a set of Bose headphones so it's super easy to travel with. I even intend to use it on the car rides home from all my races this summer!! That's something that is difficult to do with some of the other recovery devices that exist in the market.  I also love it's flexibility in that you can use it on a variety of muscles...not just your legs. 

The best thing though...the Compex isn't just a recovery tool.  It's a strength training tool that can really help increase specificity and efficiency in your strength training.  I haven't had the opportunity yet to explore this capacity in great detail, however I am very much excited to get started on this in the months ahead.  Hopefully soon I'll be able to share with all of you my experience.

If you want to recover faster, definitely think about buying a Compex. If you are already thinking about buying a Compex, but have some final questions please reach out to me. If you are local I'd be more than happy to borrow mine out for a few days (only a few, cuz remember I'm obsessed!).  I'd also be happy to let anyone try it out after a race so you could see firsthand the benefits the following day.  If you are ready to buy one...please use my code AM25OFF to score yourself 25% off at www.shopcompex.com

Trust me...life with a Compex is really, really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment