Tuesday, May 20, 2014

WORS Crystal Lake Classic

First things first...it was nearly 70 degrees on Sunday! Party on Garth!!  I was pretty jacked to be breaking out my Sota tank in the cheese head state and also to be using my favorite feature of our new bike rack for the first time!
 

Tom and I packed about as much as possible into this past weekend.  Starting with a 5:30 am wake up for Blaine Triathlon on Saturday.  I enjoyed cheering and witnessing the suffering while I downed enormous amounts of coffee in 40 degree bliss. Long story short...the lake temp was 51 degrees (eek!) and most racers couldn't feel their feet until the were on to the run portion of the course!  This was Tom's first race as a "master" and he crushed it. "Master" pretty much means "over the hill" in the triathlon world.  Nothing makes me more happy than seeing Tom this happy.

 
Afterwards we quick packed the mountain bikes in the car and made the trek to Rhinelander, arriving just in time to pre-ride before dusk.  Saturday was "new kit day" and I think the only thing that beats "new kit day" is "new bike day."  Vito is expressing equal excitement about this new Foundry kit.

 
We slept nearly 12 hours on Saturday night (ahhhh) and by the time 1:30PM rolled around I was rested and ready to race my first WORS race of the year.  I love, love, love WORS races and I can't wait to race a bunch more this summer.  They are so well organized and I honestly can't say enough good things about these races. Plus, they are a supporter of equal pay for women and that's just plain rad.

WORS Crystal Lake Classic takes place at Tesomas Scout Camp and is a fairly flat, yet ironically bumpy course with a bit more sand this year.  The race starts out with a 2 mile roll out and I was happy to let Cooper set the pace and entered the single track exactly where I was wanting to be in 2nd place.  I was holding her wheel and feeling pretty good, except I could tell my single track skills were a bit rusty and I kept having to remind myself to "PEDAL THROUGH THE DAMN CORNERS!"  I made a few mistakes during the race riding off the trail a couple times and that was enough to give Cooper an early gap that I could not bridge.

I focused the rest of the race on cornering and maintaining speed.  Eventually I was feeling smooth and in the zone.  In fact I was so in the "zone" that at one point on the second lap an XTR photographer that was hidden behind a tree scared the sh*t out of me (almost literally)!  It felt like I jumped while riding my bike and I let out a loud "ahhhhhh!!!!"  Talk about capturing the moment!

 
I laughed so hard afterwards and was slightly embarrassed.  I figured this photographer probably scared a lot of other people...then again, probably not.

I didn't race that well technically on Sunday, however, I felt fit and strong and that's probably what matters most this time of year. In the end I was very happy to climb to the 2nd step for my best WORS finish to date.  Can't wait to race WORS again in June!


Now it's back to Minneapolis and time to gear up for MT Borah Epic. We are finally seeing some awesome weather here!!!

1 comment:

  1. nice job you two! and tell Tom that MASTERS ROCK:)

    ReplyDelete