Friday, February 6, 2015

Bikes, Cats, Work & the Penn Cycle Fat Tire Loppet

So I'm sitting on a plane on my way home from a Houston work trip and I just realized that I was briefly paranoid that the gal sitting next to me might be looking over my shoulder and reading my very "private thoughts"...and then I remembered that this blog is not private at all! Ha!

I also realize that I cannot wait to race my bike tomorrow at the Cuyuna Lakes Whiteout because right now I feel exactly like this....

 
This winter has been one that has really tested my capacity to balance all the things that I find incredibly important in my life.  This week I did not get to ride my bike -- but I did get to connect with some really incredible people, with beautiful accents from all over the world.  Yesterday as we sailed down the Houston Ship Channel, alongside vessels of grain it occurred to me that I have a pretty cool role in ensuring the United States can help feed the rest of the world. What a neat feeling.

 
Although work has occupied a greater part of my life this past year, I really do feel more balanced. I am  also incredibly thankful to be working with a CTS coach that looks at me as a whole person, and not just as a cyclist. Often times it is Matt, that reminds me that it is OK to miss workouts, that it's okay to have gained a few pounds over the holidays, and that even though things don't always go as we plan  -- that doesn't mean that we still can't accomplish great things!

Photo Credit: Al Iverson

Photo Credit: Penn Cycle
Last weekends Penn Cycle Fat Tire Loppet was probably my favorite race of the year so far! The lack of snow in MN this year has really made it a struggle for some of the race promoters -- but they did such an awesome job with the new course that I wish we'd have the same course every year!! It was so fun to be on the open 3 lap course and to have so many people out spectating on nearly every corner.  It really was a hilly and painful riot and I couldn't stop smiling the entire time.

Photo Credit: Chris Chavie
 
Photo Credit: Matthew Pastick
I also had a blast hosting four dudes in our small apartment - well at least after I finally got them all trained to put the darn toilet seat back down!!  Friday night we walked down to Pub 819 and joined Dolan for dinner so we could all eat and act like goons!


Then on Sunday we finally made our way over to the new Surly Brewery to celebrate!!  


And just like that....it's another fat bike weekend!  I hope to see you all in Crosby!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment