Monday, December 14, 2015

45NRTH & Blackrocks Winter Kick-Off Party

Hey Everybody!!!  Guess what?!?! It’s fat bike season!!! Today I’m recovering from an incredible weekend up in Marquette, MI taking part in the 45NRTH & Blackrocks Winter Kick-Off Party!  (That’s right….it’s winter!!! Just without the snow!)  If you’ve been following my blog for a while you know by now that Marquette is one of my favorite places in the entire world and this weekend sure did not disappoint. 

45NRTH & Blackrocks put together one heck of a weekend full of group rides, UP Snowcross racing and a killer party at the Blackrocks Cannery.   The more and more I race my bike the more I fall in love with this fat bike community.  I get so much energy from seeing everyone’s excitement on these bikes that today I’m nearly pinching myself that I get to do this for another 3 full months!




Dolan and I made the trek up there Thursday after work arriving just before midnight.  Most of Friday was spent dorking around like goons and taking some sweet team photos (which was a challenge without snow!).  We got a killer night ride in…where I may or may not have rocked a tripod down a super sketchy rooty downhill.  

45NRTH Scott found some snow!

Bad ass endurance racer Tracey Petervary inspired me to finally learn how to ride a wheelie…..Braapp!!  I’m only two pedal strokes in…but it’s progress towards  my dream of one day rocking a finish line wheelie!

That's Tracey on the left....like a boss!
And of course when the 45NRTH team gets together there is always bound to also be some  a lot of shenanigans… like dinosaurs, wearing your Wolvhammers to the brewery (totally normal!)



These boots are sooo HOT!
and being challenged to eat a cookie off the floor with just your face. Yeah... THAT happened.




Saturday was the big day – the Winter Kickoff Party!!!  Which meant we got to enjoy riding a couple of hours on some sweet UP Singletrack which included the longest, rootiest ( is that even a word?...it should be!) climb I’ve ever seen.  I couldn’t believe how awesome the ride was on my new HED Big Deals! I swear these wheels just turn themselves. 
Laced with sweet Onyx Hubs!
AND THEN Saturday night we got to smash ourselves for 60 full minutes at the UP SnowCross race!!  Holy hard!!!  I had a blast racing with good friends and being scared by random people in the woods with fake chainsaws!  What a riot on a sweet course that even had a snow pit! 12 laps of fat bike bliss.
Photo Credit: 45NRTH

Photo Credit: 45NRTH
Afterwards 45NRTH and Blackrocks treated us to an amazing post-race party that helped raise money for the local trails!  There was great beer, great music, and even a TACO TRUCK!! 


45NRTH Kurt!  AKA - Bunny BEIST!
Talk about a perfect kick off to the season.  I’m really looking forward to returning to Marquette in February for the 906 Polar Roll.   However,  first on tap is the Solstice Chase this weekend.   Looks like we’ll be lacking snow, but we certainly won't be be lacking fun.  Hope to see you BEISTS on Saturday!



 






2 comments:

  1. SO MUCH FUN!! Thanks for the recap and pics April! more WHEELIES!!

    ReplyDelete