Monday, December 21, 2015

Solstice Chase 2015


Did you all know that 45 freaking amazing women finished the Solstice Chase this past weekend??!! That's 20% of TOTAL FINISHERS!!! It was seriously fantastic and I could not stop smiling my entire warm up because I just kept seeing so many MORE WOMEN!! 20% might not sound like a lot of women, but trust me....it's a lot!

We did NOT have snow on Saturday but we did have some chilly (smack you in the face) air which caused us to bundle all the way up so it kinda sorta felt like winter.   As most of you know I’d been looking forward to the Solstice Chase since  forever… and Saturday was everything I could have hoped for and more! 45NRTH even proved that you don't need snow to have an Igloo!!!



This year we were again treated to a sweet pre and post-race experience in a barn complete with romantic lights, beer and pizza!   There were over twice as many fat bikers as last year nearly selling out he race at 300 racers!  It’s really incredible to me the growth this sport has seen over the past few years.  I remember back in 2012 lining up at races with maybe 20 other crazy people.  Good news though…crazy is contagious! 
Photo Credit: Matthew Pastick
Saturday's race proved to be one of the most competitive yet for women with a majorly stacked field (AWESOME!).  I knew it was going to be fast and competitive from the get go so I had prepared myself to suffer badly.  The first 15 minutes hurt crazy bad and about 10 minutes in I lost contact with Jenna’s group (pretty much the front group of dudes!) however I was also realizing that I had pretty good legs.  Days like that don’t happen often so…carpe diem!   About 25 minutes into the race I got into a good rhythm with about 6 or 7 guys.   It’s funny racing so bundled up….because I didn’t even recognize some of these guys I was riding with until the race was over!
Photo Credit: Solstice Chase
The course was hilly, bumpy and fast in parts with some really rad descents and sharp 90 degree turns at the bottom!  Braap!!!  As much as I was sad about the lack of snow,  I was enjoying the speed of the dirt and also was impressed by how well marked the course was (CAUTION!)!!!  Most of the race I focused on riding steady and staying with my group of dudes NO MATTER WHAT! 

The final massive climb tore my group apart and I quickly realized that I had chosen the perfect SRAM XX1 gearing for the race (32T up front).  I pushed through the pain and was happy to descend my way thorugh the finish as 2nd female and 17th overall!

Photo Credit: Matthew Pastick

Huge thanks to my CTS coach Matt  for nailing the training leading into this race.  Hilly courses are normally a challenge for me, but thanks to a handful of agony intervals I felt like a hill beist on Saturday!  Huge congrats to Jenna for the win! (your power is impressive!) and big YEH! to Danielle for creating a podium that she coined as a 45NRTH sandwich.  Jeff Hall took home the men’s win and Adam from HED nabbed the 2nd stump!  AND way to go 45NRTH Kurt on 2nd in the 21K!!!  The list could go on forever!   Great job to all of you racers out there….many of which was your first fat bike race ever!! YOU are all a bunch of beists!
GINGER BIEST!
Photo Credit: Solstice Chase

6 comments:

  1. Awesome race report! Haha on the cow photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the singletracks report I did: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-events/news-2015-solstice-chase-a-blast/

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWEET WRITE UP!! Do you know who took those Solstice Chase photos?? I wanna put that Bull (or is it a cow?) Photo in our living room.....yet Tom is refusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I took it. I'll grab your address off the entry list and send the cow photo to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for telling me about the stick in my derailleur, for riding with me all day, and (NOT) for dropping me like a bad habit on the last climb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! That stick was there forever!!! Great work Saturday, that was a lot of fun!

      Delete